At play with baby: look at me

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on May 20, 2011

in Infant and Toddler, Visual Tracking

For those of you who have not graduated into the grandma club, then you may not appreciate this as much when I say…   There is nothing more amazing than watching your own child be a parent! I love watching my daughter be a mom – she is so natural and nurturing and smart! Shall I go on:)

During a recent grandma visit, I enjoyed watching my daughter play this little visual tracking game with baby K. The first thing she would do is get him to look directly at her. Then she would slowly move to one side and call his name or make little clicking sounds….

Then slowly back to the middle, waiting each time and gently encouraging baby K to catch up to her with his eyes…

Then slowly to the other side and again, wait for baby K to catch up to her with his eyes…

Keeping in mind that baby K is only about 4 weeks old, she held him close and supported him as they played.  I am not sure where my daughter gets her playful ideas from but watching her play with baby K is wonderful…

For those of you who are on the look out for infant lesson plans or just some quality playtime with baby add this to your list of to dos!

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 D'Lynn Smith May 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm

These pictures just warm my heart!

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 20, 2011 at 11:36 pm

3 Karen Nemeth May 20, 2011 at 11:42 pm

This is a lovely piece with beautiful pictures. Just wonderful!

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 20, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Thank you Karen (Fellow Grandma Club Member:)

5 Sharon May 20, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I’m a long-time reader and first-time commenter. I’ve wanted to let you know for some time how fantastic I find your site and how awed I am by your tirelessness, and this gave me the perfect opportunity… Congratulations on the newest addition to your beautiful family. Between you and your daughter, this is sure to be the most stimulated baby around… Enjoy.

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 21, 2011 at 12:12 am

Dear, dear, Sharon – thank you for leaving such a thoughtful and meaningful comment. I didn’t know I had any long-time readers:) I really appreciate you sticking with me and excited to keep stimulating that baby! Thanks again ~Deborah

7 cathy @ nurturestore May 21, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hmmm, I wonder where your daughter gets her playful, nurturing nature from? Maybe *her* mother taught her a thing or two (she looks like you too!) A great baby idea and lovely to see some photos of your family.

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

I hope I have had some influence – I think she is going to be the one teaching me now:)

9 KM May 21, 2011 at 11:17 am

So beautiful! Shelearned from one amazing mama for sure!!!!!

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm

11 Ms. Dawn, The Singing Nurse May 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Deborah, Congrats on your newest amazing grand baby. I know what you mean about watching your children be parents, it’s wonderful. It is awesome to have new additions and sometimes it is sweet but sad to see them grow and move on to new adventure. Life is like that.
You might enjoy the lyrics to a song I wrote recently called
“Doing What They Do” It is written for parents, grandparents and those who love and nurture children. It is posted at my website under Happy Mother’s Day. Have a great ending to your school year, and thanks again for all your creative sharing.
For Healthy Kids, Dawn

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 22, 2011 at 12:33 am

Hi Dawn – I will have to listen to your new song:) It is bitter sweet to watch your children grow up and become independent young adults. I am enjoying the experience more than I ever knew I would…

13 Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog May 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm

ADORABLE!!! Of course, I wouldn’t expect anything less…. Your daughter has learned from the best! xoxo

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. May 22, 2011 at 12:31 am

Thank you Valerie:) Your daughters are learning from the best!

15 Little Wonders' Days May 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

So sweet. I’m sure your daughter had a great teacher :)