On becoming a grandma for the very first time

Becoming a grandma is an experience that only after becoming a grandma can you begin to appreciate. Bright and early this morning, my daughter had our first grand baby – a bouncing baby boy….

We arrived at the hospital at 1:00 in the morning and by 8:00 in the morning he was here! He is so sweet and beautiful…

As he was being bathed, fed, changed, swaddled, held, kissed, and talked to, all I could think of is that every single thing that he is experiencing was for the very first time….

So much of what we do with infants, toddlers, and even preschool age children is an experience they are exploring for the very first time…

I want to share in as much of my grandson’s very first time experiences as I can…

And when I am working with young children in the classroom, I want to bring my “grandmotherly” perspective with me and remember that the children I teach are exploring and learning about their world. And often times, what I do with these children may be something they are experiencing for the very first time…

Comments

1. says

Congratulations, Grandma! I’m so grateful my mom was in the room when my daughter, her first grandbaby, was born. SO very special. And congrats to your daughter, as well! Yay for first times, both for babies, moms and grandmas!

2. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Thank you Ariana – I did get to be in the room during the birth of the baby. It was the greatest gift my daughter could ever share with me:)

3. says

Deborah,
    My granddaughter is two years old now and I understand completely how you’re feeling. I had heard the “wonderful” experiences of being a grandma but did not comprehend the complete and overwhelming emotion of it all until she arrived. I tell people, “I was really a grinch until the moment she was in my arms because my heart grew ten sizes at that moment.” I revel in every new discovery and love knowing what is going on in her devleopment. Parenting is great but grandparenting is discovering the world again right along with our grandchildren. It is sharing in their wonderment and excitement and truly appreciating the beauty of life. Congratulations to you and your family!

4. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I am so excited to read this! “Parenting is great but grandparenting is discovering the world again right along with our grandchildren.” It is exactly as you say – and I can’t wait to see what else is in store. As I was watching the kids care for their new baby today, I can see why grandparents have such a unique perspective. While they were busy worrying over all the details of caring for their baby (and doing a beautiful job at it) I was able to sit back and just soak it all in!

5. Cindy Lawson says

Congratulations on becoming a grandma!! Being a grandparent is such an awesome experience. I can’t wait until this summer when I get to keep my grandkids for a week. We will do all kinds of messy activities like the ones you put on Facebook.

6. Julia says

Congratulations to you all….he is beautiful. I was several states away when my “perfect” grandson was born and did not get to meet him until he was about a month old. Fortunately two years ago I was in the room when my “beautiful” granddaughter was born and was able to witness her first bath, dressing, etc. It is just AMAZING how much love you can have for someone so new to our world. Welcome to the GRANDMA CLUB <3

7. says

From one Grandma to another one….it is the best!! I enjoyed watching the birth of Selena, and I truly enjoy being a Grandma. Congrats!

8. says

Deb –
    COngratulations!!!!!!!
    So happy for you :)
    Enjoy this precious experience and thank you for sharing pics !

9. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I am so excited to be in the grandma club! I didn’t realize what a privilege it is! Yay that you got to see the birth of your grand daughter – what an amazing experience!

10. Dawn J says

I am not a grandma but you are making me cry! Your love for him and your daughter are felt in your words above! Congrats!

11. says

What a blessing he is! My parents and my husbands parents are also first time grandparents and they had to wait a loooonnnngggg time! :) I’m so happy for you and for your daughter that she has someone as amazing as you to help her along the way. :) Have fun and do what my babies grandparents have been doing for the past 5 months…spoil, spoil, spoil!

12. says

Deborah,

…and at 8 in the morning, a brand new grandma was born! How incredible and wonderful and new for all of you! It’s quite amazing, isn’t it? It’s hard to imagine anything being more wonderful than becoming a mom, but it sounds like the adventure starts anew when one becomes a grandma! Enjoy that precious, beautiful bundle. What a lucky baby boy!

Wendy

13. Mimi says

Oh, Deborah! I have tears in my eyes as I read of this wondrous experience. Such a beautiful baby boy. Life as you knew it will never be again, and you will be soooo happy for that! Congratulations on this amazing blessing!

” Children’s children are the crown of old men,
    And the glory of children is their father. ” Proverbs 17:6

” Just make sure you stay alert. Keep close watch over yourselves. Don’t forget anything of what you’ve seen. Don’t let your heart wander off. Stay vigilant as long as you live. Teach what you’ve seen and heard to your children and grandchildren. ” Deut. 4:9

14. says

Congratulations Deborah!! Your grandson is absolutely beautiful. Birth really is a miracle, and an amazing thing to witness and be a part of. I’m just thrilled for you. xo

15. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Hahaha – you have already given them 5 months of joy!! I love it and I will definitely spoil:)

16. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

And at 8 in the morning a brand new grandpa was born too – we are both enjoying so excited and are looking forward to the new adventure:)

17. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Those are both such beautiful verses – thank you for sharing that with me Mimi! I will share them with my daughter too…

18. says

Congratulations! You’re grandson is beautiful and your life will be fuller than you could ever imagine with him in it. I have one grandchild whom will be 3 in June and I can’t begin to tell you how your heart continually expands with love. Enjoy your grandPRIZE!

19. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Thank you Rose.. I am amazed at how life just starts all over for you and I never understood this before now:)

20. says

How wonderful!!! It actually reminded of me of becoming a mother for the first time … amazing!!

Enjoy your Grandson, both you and he are very blessed to have one another.

21. says

Congratulations on your beautiful grandbaby! What a blessing! Enjoy him! I will be a grandma, for the first time in July and then another one due in August. I can’t wait!
    Congratulations again, he is beautiful.

Lynette

22. Bette says

He is beautiful! Being a grandmother 5 times I know how you feel. There is nothing like it. Each time brings you so much joy. I am lucky to be able to spend all my time with 4 of them and have seen many firsts. Many more to come.

23. says

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news! Your grandson is so precious – and how great that you have so many adorable photos already! I can imagine your grandson already has you thinking of lots of ideas for activities – we’ll enjoy reading about them! Have fun! :)

24. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I am ready!! Already thinking of all those little hand and footprints I want to make! LOL!

25. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

We were on camera overload! My job was to take pictures and I made sure I took LOTs!

26. Denise says

Congratulations! I will become a grandma for the first time in August! Thank you for your sweet post!

27. says

Congratulations!!!
    A gift from above, may your heart always feel the love.
    They say that, ‘Grandmothers sprinkle stardust over children’s lives.’
    I wish you and your family a healthy and happy life!

28. says

There is nothing in this world like being a Mommy, I gasp at the idea of what it must be like to be a Grandma! That’s like Mommy to the 2nd power:) I love you and I know you’re going to be a terrific grandma! Thank your daughter for sharing her very special day with all of us.

29. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I am still in awe Myra – I love you too! I will pass along your message to my daughter!