In the Mailbox: butterfly jar

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on April 6, 2011

in In the Mail

Last week I ordered this butterfly jar and it came in the mail today!

I found this little gem from Surviving a Teacher’s Salary and for some crazy reason, I bought it!

I plan to take it to preschool for my very own show and tell. The butterfly isn’t real but it looks almost real. It flitters around in the jar when you tap on the lid or when the lid gets some extra vibration. Here is a little video I took of the butterfly in the jar…

I wont be able to leave the jar out for the children to freely play with for several reasons..

• The jar is real glass
  • The lid can be removed and if it gets removed, it will likely break the wire that is used to make the butterfly move
  • I really love this silly thing and want it to keep working

So I will just save is as a great way to introduce butterflies or when we talk about starting our own collections…

Be sure to check out the butterfly sensory bags in case you missed it!

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Sandie Lloyd April 6, 2011 at 7:03 am

Very cool! This will be a great to go along with the real butterflies we study in the room. Thank you for sharing!

2 Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids April 6, 2011 at 8:18 am

This is very cool! Thanks so much. :)

3 Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids April 6, 2011 at 8:35 am

Also…thanks for featuring my Super Spider. I haven’t been blogging and wondered why I had a bounce in traffic…now I know!

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

You are welcome!

5 Crystal April 6, 2011 at 11:38 am

I’m so glad you love it! I saw it in a store somewhere too just recently and thought how COOL!! I’m just afraid my overambitious preschooler will find it and break it! :)~

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

They are fragile for sure!

7 TShapiro April 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm

These are available with lightweight plastic jars instead of glass at Toys R Us in the science section.

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. April 6, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I will have to take a look next time I go to a Toys R Us! Thanks for the tip!

9 mama roses August 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

I have to confess the butterfly and its movements look so real. We did a real case of metamorphosis this spring and that is exactly how the butterfly moved in the jar. Next spring, I am on! I will pick this up if we do not pick real caterpillars :)!