P is for pink polk-a-dots in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on February 7, 2011

in Creative Art, Letter of the Week, Painting, Pig, pizza, The Letter of the Week

Each week, the teachers at our school continue to focus on a letter of the week. This isn’t the only time that the children will explore a given letter but it is an opportunity to give a letter some special attention. This week the focus was on the letter P!

I noticed that focusing on the letter of the week is also a time when children whose name starts with that letter get a little extra recognition. When I go into a classroom and ask the children to tell me what letter they are talking about the children immediately begin to tell me if their name starts with that letter…

As we explore the letter of the week, we want to make sure the sound of the letter is somehow concretely emphasized. For example, while the children are painting their letter P’s  I can say, “You are painting pink polk-a-dots with a pencil on your letter P!”   This simple activity gives lots of opportunity for physically engaging children in an activity that connects the sound of the letter with the shape of the letter.

Playing with a polk-a-dotted paper cup also gives opportunities to emphasize the sound of the letter P…

How about we paint the paper cup too!

And make some paper cup piggy puppets!

And don’t forget that P is for Pepperoni Pizza too!

The letter P is actually a fun letter because there are so many concrete and tangible ways to explore the sound of the letter.

Now when we get to a letter like “X” or “Q”, it is always a bit more challenging…

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Little Wonders' Days February 7, 2011 at 6:29 am

The little Pink Pigs are adorable. We did “P” at home a couple of weeks ago and did pizza. I’ll have to start looking for your letter posts for ideas!

2 Deborah J. Stewart February 7, 2011 at 7:28 am

I think I have skipped a few letters – I need to go back and add them in:)

3 Ana February 7, 2011 at 7:23 am

Hi! I love the piggies! they are so, so cute!
I teach English as a foreign language and also teach my bilingual niece. She loves pink and I will be using the piggie idea for letter P. Thanks for the inspiration! I love your ideas!
Ana

4 Deborah J. Stewart February 7, 2011 at 7:28 am

Hi Ana – Have fun with the piggies!

5 Debbie Miller February 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

P was the most fun letter ever. We painted with plungers bought at the dollar store using pink and purple paint. We laid down a big white sheet of paper on the floor and 3 children at a time painted. It was a great activity. Afterwards we cut it into “P’s” and sent them home. The kids loved it. We also had pajama day and made pancakes. Another day we made pizza and read the book the Princess and the Pizza.

6 Deborah J. Stewart February 7, 2011 at 7:56 am

Oh my gosh Debbie – You did have a ball with the letter P! I wish the other letters could be that much fun! I haven’t tried plunger painting – what a super idea!

7 Jill February 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm

What great ideas! I love the pizzas.

8 Pam February 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

oh- these are too cute! I have to admit- I’m not that creative when it comes to letter activities! I love the pink polkadots on the letter P’s!

9 Carla February 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Hi Deborah,

When I taught 1st grade, we made “fraction” pizzas. At the preschool age, you could still do this to a lesser extent: Whole, Half and even Quarters, I bet!!

10 Deborah J. Stewart February 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Absolutely – pizzas are a wonderful tool for discovering simple fractions. I think our preschoolers could handle that:)

11 Angela - Starting Daycare February 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

Deborah-
Our color this month is pink at my daycare and I love those pink pigs. Did you have a pattern for the pig or did you just cut them yourself? VERY CUTE!!
Angela

12 Deborah J. Stewart February 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hi Angela – I am not sure where the teacher got her pattern for the pig from but I figure any circle or even a paper plate would work for the face:)