Organizing your teacher bag for preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on February 26, 2011

in Classroom Management, Lesson Plans, Teaching Tools and Resources

I think I have hundreds teacher bags laying around. I get them from all sorts of places but mostly from conferences I attend.

Several months ago, I shared how we organize our teaching materials for the week. My main purpose in using a teacher bag is to make transitions between activities go smoothly and to keep essential tools at my fingertips…

I use it to keep things handy like scissors, a permanent marker, glue, and a few other items that are a must have.  I always keep a favorite book stashed away in my teacher bag too…

I often keep a stuffed animal or puppet in the bag too when I need a little helper to get the children’s attention…

I also may keep pieces of an activity we are going to do in the bag so I can easily pull them out when I am ready to use them…

The thing about a teacher bag is that it can get disorganized pretty quick so I clean my bag out just about every day so I am not spending time in front of the children digging around in the bottom of my bag trying to find my stuff.

For me, a teacher bag isn’t a way to organize my lesson plan materials for the week, as I have suggested in my previous post.  It is instead a way to carry the things I need on a daily basis to keep the classroom day and transitions throughout the day running smoothly.

Check out this teacher bag!

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Gianne February 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I just wanted to pop in and tell you that we did the jumping shape activity in playgroup at my place along with some other fun J activities. Thanks for making our indoor playdate more manageable! See the fun at:

cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

Thanks again.

2 Deborah J. Stewart February 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love it! Thank you for stopping by and telling me that and I will drop by your blog right now!

3 Barbara February 27, 2011 at 7:27 am

Deborah, thanks once again for all of your practical tips.
I have been in search of the perfect teacher bag as I seem to carry my planbook and various books back and forth from home to school each day. Any suggested websites for finding great teacher bags???
Thanks so much for all you do for the world of preschool education!

4 Deborah J. Stewart February 27, 2011 at 10:39 am

I really don’t have a suggestion for the best place to get a teacher bag. I think that it depends on how much you wish to carry, whether you want it to have wheels or not, pockets or not, and so forth. A teacher bag can be a simple as a grocery bag:) It is just a way to help you be prepared and what works for you will be very unique:)

5 Pam February 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

Deborah- I basically use my teacher bag (oh- sorry, that would be BAGS- plural :) to transfer my things from home to school and back again. I really have never used a bag IN the classroom to keep items and supplies near me. (I keep my things in baskets around the room where we will need them). But using a bag is a great idea!- I think I may try this! Thanks!

6 Deborah J. Stewart February 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

We have baskets around the room for children to easily find supplies they can use too. I mainly use my bag for when I am sitting down in circle time and need to show the children something or want to read to them. I like knowing that I have what I need right there with me so I don’t have to get up and have the children wait for me to get something I might have left on a shelf or counter:)

7 Pam February 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Oh- I just laughed when I read this! When we do calendar each morning, we write a morning message that says something we will do during the day. This is when I ask one of my wonderful teacher associates very nicely to PLEASE grab the basket for me so I can show the children what we will do later…come to think of it, my teacher associates may appreciate me using a “teacher bag” in the classroom more than I would! -guess I’d better get on that!

8 Deborah J. Stewart February 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Haha – well it surely isn’t fool proof! I still find myself sending one of the children or assistants over to grab just one more thing!

9 Laura Oreamuno February 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I had a teacher´s bag just like you until this year that the School Principal asked me to change from Room Teacher (30 years),to Science and Around the World Teacher (going around from class to class) for the 200 preschoolers we have. It turned to be a wonderful esperience ,but a bag wasn´t enough. I bought at amazon a carry-car,kind of a wagon that lets everyone take a look of things inside when I go in. It´s working excellent!!
Laura Oreamuno.
San Jose,Costa Rica.
Saint Anthony School.

10 Deborah J. Stewart February 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm

That is a lot of preschoolers!! How wonderful!! I haven’t seen anything like that – I will look it up!

11 shar March 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

This is a really great idea. I love it!

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. March 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

13 Centers and Circle Time March 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I use a basket for my Circle Time activities each day also. However, when I travel to do Circle Time events I carry a bag that is related to the event like a Halloween bag, Christmas bag, etc. Thanks for sharing:) I tried to convince a friend of mine that sews to make my bags, no such luck …yet. I love being able to stop by your site! You’re always an inspiration:)

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. March 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I always enjoy your company Centers!!

15 Heidi May 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

The teacher bag is a great idea! At LearningZoneXpress, we have a program called Learning About Nutrition through Activities or LANA for short. It’s geared toward young kids and includes lesson plans for child care centers & parents. The books and plush fruit and vegetables (such as Billy Blueberry) encourage kids to try new foods and think of it as a fun adventure. We have found great success with making nutritious food fun. There are many fun activities the could be incorporated into the teacher bag idea from our LANA kit. Check it out at http://search.learningzonexpress.com/search?keywords=lana