Deborah in the news

I have been enjoying the opportunity to present some simple information on our local news station. On today’s segment, I came prepared to introduce several ideas that young children can explore for Valentine’s day. If you are viewing this by email, you may need to come to the blog to see the short news clip!

The valentine activities I brought to share were included my most recent posts…

This was my second time to present on our local news station (you can view my first appearance here) and I have been invited back on a monthly basis. I am enjoying this new media outlet and learning something new with each opportunity. I am a rookie at this and have some questions about all of this. I would love to hear your thoughts….

1. What kind of ideas would you find of value for a March, April, or May segment? I am supposed to keep up with current trends, holidays, or events such as St. Patrick’s Day or Spring Break or other interesting current events but want to spin them from an early childhood education perspective.

2. I have to bring props so whatever idea I choose needs to include great visuals – do you have any prop suggestions that would fit on a long, skinny table top?

3. If you have had any short 3 minute segment television experience, do you have any presentation tips for me?

4. And most importantly, should I wear my hair up or down?

Comments

1. says

First hair looked great and sound wonderful . Easy enough to focu on the up coming Holiday . Maybe adding a perschool game for St patti day or easter like find the shamrock for St. patti day or Eggs For Easter . Simply and easy to make and can keep for years . (or i do ) Fun lesson and crafts with all this Easter plastic eggs . Also after we leave holiday can do a section on recyling crafts and water bottles ?Possible Weather or spring for March as Easter so late this year . Fun Enjoy and Exciting !

2. Deborah J. Stewart says

Wow Jessica – thanks for all your ideas. I love the recycling craft idea and the idea for a weather segment.

3. says

Go you! I thought the clips were great and you looked so relaxed. The ideas came over well, even in the short time frame, and it was great to have the presenter trying out some of the ideas to bring them to life. I think it’s great to show how you can use recycled materials. How about planting some seeds for spring? Oh, and hair down Rapunzel ;)

4. Deborah J. Stewart says

Planting seeds is a terrific idea for spring! LOL and thanks for the “hair down” vote!

5. says

How awesome! You did fabulous! I like your hair either way! Switch it up every time!!

Water bottle flower prints? Green noodle necklaces? Button shamrocks? I just realized I’ve been blogging almost a year, so I have a few ideas up for spring, Easter, and St. Patrick’s Day. ;) I also think recycling is a great idea!

6. Deborah J. Stewart says

I remember all those idea and love everyone of them! I need a lot longer than just three minutes don’t you think so I can share all of the wonderful ideas from bloggers like you!

7. says

You were wonderful! I think this was a great segment. I don’t have any experience with this type of media, but you looked great…hair looked nice and I liked the color of your blouse.

8. says

Awesome as usual! I like the hair up or down :) It’s hard for me to think about spring right now with the amount of snow and ice we have – I’m freezing!! I’m thinking St. Patrick’s Day= Rainbows- lots of good stuff out there for rainbows.

You go girl!
    {hugs}

9. Kara says

Could you let us know when you’ll be on the show so we can set our dvr? Thanks! I’m going to use some of the ideas tomorrow with my class.

10. says

Oh my gosh! That looks great! You packed in a lot of information in that short time period! (hair looks great either way :)

11. says

Deborah,

Are you sure this was only your second tv appearance?? You look & sound like a pro! Great job, and I love the V-day chocolate box idea — need to start dropping some hints to my hubby. It is for the sake of the KIDS, afterall… ;-)

I’ve done tv segments for a couple years, they are lots of fun! Feel free to drop me an email anytime you want to brainstorm for ideas for upcoming segments. In April, I usually do rainy day fun for kids, and that’s always a big hit. Have fun and CONGRATS!!!

<3,
    Valerie

12. Deborah J. Stewart says

I will definitely drop you an email! I really enjoyed watching your segment and seeing how smoothly you pulled it off. Thanks for the offer to share ideas – I will be taking you up on that:)

13. says

Aww, you’re so awesome!! You looked great! I think you’re going to get mixed reactions when you ask hair up or down? I think you should do both. Maybe put it up when you’re discussing shaving cream, water or paint (messy projects) and put it down when you’re discussing reading, phonics, and math subjects. You could even squeeze that in, “okay parents you may want to pull your hair up for this one, this may get a little messy.”

14. Joan Banker says

Hi Deborah,
    Your hair is fabulous either way. I agree with the last post. The hair and outfit should “match” the subject for the day. How about some pigtails and denim for barnyard fun crafts? This is always the favorite topic for my classes in the springtime. You could do a whole segment on caterpillars, butterflies, etc. How about fun gifts for Mother’s Day? I can already tell that you will need more TV time :)

15. Deborah J. Stewart says

Oh, I don’t know if I would be brave enough to dress the part! But I do love the added ideas – maybe they can invite me on weekly so I can fit them all in! LOL! I love the barnyard crafts and Mother’s Day is a must!