A simple sensory table for preschoolers

Years ago I took a part time teaching position in a YMCA preschool program. The classroom space was nice but we had to share the space with other users after preschool was finished for the day. So this meant that most everything we used either had to be put away or taken home. ┬áBecause the class I taught was almost all boys and they were all threes, I knew that a sensory table was a must but there wasn’t one supplied by the program so I created my own and it looked like this…

Yep! Impressive huh! It is pretty technical so let me explain…

This is two large clear plastic containers that I stack on top of each other. I stack them because it makes it almost the perfect height for preschoolers to stand and play in. I use clear containers so that when I add colored items or colored water, you can actually see the colors.

I generally use one of the containers for water play or other types of liquid/messy sensory play like shave cream. ┬áThe other container I reserve for dry sensory play like rice, pompoms, or sand…

I am careful not to fill the containers too full so that I can lift and move them as needed but full enough so that there will be plenty of materials for scooping, pouring, and I want some weight so the baskets will not slide around.

I also recommend to choose two baskets that have lids that fit tight and will stack nicely on top of each other…

And add a rug or towel or plastic table cloth underneath the sensory table. I used a plastic table cloth.

I added tape around the edges to make the table cloth a little heavier and easier to fold and put away..

After I finish using the sensory table, I slide it under this table for another day…

I usually rotate between water and dry sensory play each day. I have mine all set up for a little Valentine’s Day play!

If you would like to see another homemade sensory table, check out this one by PreK Pages!

And if you would like to see about a million ideas for sensory play, check out the ideas here by Counting Coconuts!

And if you would like to see some more amazing ideas for sensory table play then check out this Sand and Water Table blog!

Learn more about Sensory Play from Not Just Cute!

Comments

• Deborah J. Stewart says

I have mine all set up at home for my 2 year old nephew Wyatt! So It will be perfect for Jacob too!

1. Trisha says

Is the sensory table being used too deep for the children to reach inside to the bottom of it to play? (I hope this makes sense) :)

• Deborah J. Stewart says

I haven’t found it to be a problem so far but I am sure it depends on the height and age of the child and how much you fill it up!

• Deborah J. Stewart says

Oh, and I think it looks taller and deeper in my photos than it really is sitting on my floor in real life. I just noticed that:)

2. says

What a fabulous resource you are! This is exactly what moms at home want to know for setting up sensory activities in the kitchen/yard/patio/etc. I don’t have have a lot of space in my home and just have one tub that I prop on top of a little table. And it’s perfect. I’d like to build something a little less makeshift for the garden. Any ideas?

3. Joan Banker says

Hi Deborah,

While reading this, I was thinking to myself, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
    Sensory/water tables are so expensive and this is an economical way to get one – plus great storage, too! Thanks so much for this idea!

During a morning “dog walk”, I found a file folder cart on wheels that a neighbor had discarded in the trash. After painting it a bright cheerful yellow, it became my “sensory table”. I haven’t used it for water activities, but it has been great for beans, rice, etc. – and was just the right height for my class, too.

• Deborah J. Stewart says

I love it! You know that you are a true teacher when the neighbor’s junk looks like teaching treasure!!

4. says

Deborah, you are a genius. I’m “borrowing” this idea for certain. (And it will become a part of my training conference about homemade resources – with attribution of course!).

Thanks for continually adding to my knowledge and thoughts about teaching. I’m not sure I can keep all that stuff in my head or my files.

• Deborah J. Stewart says

LOL Scott – I have gotten just as many ideas from you! Sitting behind me right now is a very large magnetic board I bought at the local auto supply store:) Still have to put it to good use!

5. Carrie says

For a class I had come up with something similar a “mobile sensory station”. At the time I was doing playgroups and needed something for on the go. I chose one of the long, flat containers as my base then 2 other containers fit inside it to hold the additional materials and supplies. I was working with infants and toddlers at the time so the shallower tub was better for them.

• Deborah J. Stewart says

Terrific idea Carrie – I love that you were planning sensory for infant and toddlers!

6. Sarah says

Love, love, love that sand and water table site that you linked! Everyone should check it out! I am going out to look for a giant sponge. Thank you.

• Deborah J. Stewart says

Haha! Good luck with the sponge hunt! It is a wonderful website for sand and water play – I am so glad you took a look!

7. Billie Jo Kelly says

Dear Deborah,
    Do you have any sensory ideas that will work in an Infant classroom for children ages 6-9 months, 9-12 months and 12-18 months?

I love the ideas that you share.