We are writing on the walls in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on October 7, 2010

in Developmentally Appropriate Practices, The Value of Play

In this classroom the children are literally writing on the walls!

The bottom half of the wall is painted in chalk board paint around two whole walls of the classroom.

Each of the children who have decided to write on the walls have a piece of chalk in one hand and an eraser in the other hand. They erase as fast as they draw. It is obvious that erasing is a very important part of their fun.

The children followed each other around the room making long lines then went back and erased the lines. It reminded me of “Harold and the Purple Crayon.”  I am going to have to donate the book and some purple chalk just to toss some literacy and color into their play.

And in case you are worried – the children know the difference between the chalk walls and the other walls. They do not transfer this activity to “non-chalk board writing walls” :)

As the children write, they are constantly talking and pretending. They erase their own and sometimes each other’s work. I was surprised how cooperative the children were with each other in their play. No getting mad, no complaining, just draw – erase – then move on down the wall and do it again!

I am linking to The Play Academy!

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Scott October 7, 2010 at 12:17 pm

You are so right, Deborah. Erasing is just as important – in both chalk and dry erase drawing. I love the cooperative spirit that these pictures show.

2 Deborah J. Stewart October 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm

It is funny you say that Scott because watching this made me realize that I often make sure there is plenty of chalk but only one or two erasers. From now on I will have plenty of erasers too!

3 maryanne October 7, 2010 at 1:04 pm

How wonderful! I had a HUGE chalkboard on the wall of my bedroom growing up, and my siblings and I spent hours playing with it!

4 Deborah J. Stewart October 7, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Wow – that is unusual to have a chalkboard right in your own bedroom – how fun!

5 Pamela Spann October 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I also put a closet mirror horizantal on the wall. The students use glass crayon to write on it.

6 Deborah J. Stewart October 7, 2010 at 11:18 pm

What a great idea!

7 Centers and Circle Time October 8, 2010 at 12:41 am

They’re so cute! I recently blogged about the “Wonderful World of Writing” and chalk was definitely on my list! Thanks for sharing:)

8 kelli October 8, 2010 at 7:38 am

great idea, I would love to do that in my house if it wasn’t a rental

9 Deborah J. Stewart October 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

LOL – well since this is a painted wall with chalkboard paint, you could always use it and then paint over it when you move out!

10 What did you do today mama? October 8, 2010 at 1:05 pm

What a lovely idea, may see if I can get chalkboard paint for my little girls’ bedroom. Like Kelli I thought I couldn’t as we’re renting but if you just paint over it later like normal paint, why not!

11 Teacher Tom October 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I’m glad you mentioned the concern about “knowing the difference.” Parents are often worried that things kids are allowed to do in preschool — like drawing on walls — will get brought home. I’ve found that it rarely happens. Or if it does, it only happens once! Even very young ones are fully capable of knowing that different “rules” or behaviors apply in different circumstances.

I think I’m going to try out some of that chalkboard paint.

I’ve also read that there is magnetic paint . . .

12 Deborah J. Stewart October 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I have read that there is magnetic paint but haven’t seen it yet – I would love to know how well that works! I was thinking of painting the back of some of our stand alone bookshelves with the paints to use as another center in the classroom.

13 Denise F October 11, 2010 at 4:56 am

What surprised me more was a classroom that had 2 empty walls so that children could get to them to play!

14 Deborah J. Stewart October 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hmmm, that is interesting isn’t it? I hadn’t thought about it that way – I have taken this for granted!