We are writing on the walls in preschool

In this classroom the children are literally writing on the walls!

The bottom half of the wall is painted in chalk board paint around two whole walls of the classroom.

Each of the children who have decided to write on the walls have a piece of chalk in one hand and an eraser in the other hand. They erase as fast as they draw. It is obvious that erasing is a very important part of their fun.

The children followed each other around the room making long lines then went back and erased the lines. It reminded me of “Harold and the Purple Crayon.”  I am going to have to donate the book and some purple chalk just to toss some literacy and color into their play.

And in case you are worried – the children know the difference between the chalk walls and the other walls. They do not transfer this activity to “non-chalk board writing walls” :)

As the children write, they are constantly talking and pretending. They erase their own and sometimes each other’s work. I was surprised how cooperative the children were with each other in their play. No getting mad, no complaining, just draw – erase – then move on down the wall and do it again!

I am linking to The Play Academy!

Comments

1. says

You are so right, Deborah. Erasing is just as important – in both chalk and dry erase drawing. I love the cooperative spirit that these pictures show.

• Deborah J. Stewart says

It is funny you say that Scott because watching this made me realize that I often make sure there is plenty of chalk but only one or two erasers. From now on I will have plenty of erasers too!

2. says

How wonderful! I had a HUGE chalkboard on the wall of my bedroom growing up, and my siblings and I spent hours playing with it!

• Deborah J. Stewart says

Wow – that is unusual to have a chalkboard right in your own bedroom – how fun!

3. Pamela Spann says

I also put a closet mirror horizantal on the wall. The students use glass crayon to write on it.

• Deborah J. Stewart says

LOL – well since this is a painted wall with chalkboard paint, you could always use it and then paint over it when you move out!

4. says

What a lovely idea, may see if I can get chalkboard paint for my little girls’ bedroom. Like Kelli I thought I couldn’t as we’re renting but if you just paint over it later like normal paint, why not!

5. says

I’m glad you mentioned the concern about “knowing the difference.” Parents are often worried that things kids are allowed to do in preschool — like drawing on walls — will get brought home. I’ve found that it rarely happens. Or if it does, it only happens once! Even very young ones are fully capable of knowing that different “rules” or behaviors apply in different circumstances.

I think I’m going to try out some of that chalkboard paint.

I’ve also read that there is magnetic paint . . .

• Deborah J. Stewart says

I have read that there is magnetic paint but haven’t seen it yet – I would love to know how well that works! I was thinking of painting the back of some of our stand alone bookshelves with the paints to use as another center in the classroom.

6. Denise F says

What surprised me more was a classroom that had 2 empty walls so that children could get to them to play!

• Deborah J. Stewart says

Hmmm, that is interesting isn’t it? I hadn’t thought about it that way – I have taken this for granted!