At play with baby: musical instruments

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on July 29, 2010

in Infant and Toddler

When baby Clara kicks the tambourine it goes “jingle, jingle!”

When baby Clara kicks the maraca it goes “shake, shake!”

The rhythm sticks go “tap, tap, tap!”

“Jingle, jingle, shake, shake, tap, tap, tap!”

I wander if Clara can go clap, clap, clap?

See why reading to your baby is so important from Room to Grow: Making Early Childhood Count.

Leave me a comment and I will respond right here:)

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Teacher Tom July 29, 2010 at 8:36 am

I don’t read as many blogs every day as you, Deborah, but I read a lot and sometimes when I see the word “baby” in the title I skip over it since I don’t have any babies in my life, but I’m soooo glad I read this! The whole concept of a setting up some drums (and other instruments) that are designed to be kicked while lying on your back is exciting to me. I’m now thinking of how I could build something that could take kicking from a 4-year-old!

2 Deborah J. Stewart July 29, 2010 at 9:08 am

You are always thinking of how an idea will work for you – that is what I love about you Tom!!

3 Leeanne A July 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hey Tom I was thinking about this too! When I taught at a Karate centre – we had a cultural childrens program – we had a tiko drum group that practiced there – their drums were made out of old rain barrels – and the sticks they used simply looked like large 2 inch dowels. I bet with your skills you could do the same – or something similar and they can definitely be laid down to be kicked – or put in many different positions!

4 Deborah J. Stewart July 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

You are going to get Tom thinking now Leeanne:)

5 erin July 29, 2010 at 9:49 am

I love your infant activities! The images are sooo sweet they make me melt to see them :)

6 Deborah J. Stewart July 29, 2010 at 9:51 am

Thank you Erin:) Clara is a sweet baby to take photos of!

7 Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog July 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Love this post! Music is so much fun for kids of all ages. :-)

8 Ms.Jessi July 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I’m the with Tom, I usually skip baby titled posts…but, now that I’m expecting I’m bookmarking your cute infant activities so when my son comes around, I can do these activities with him. :)

9 Deborah J. Stewart July 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm

LOL – I have always skipped over them too but now that I have a toddler nephew and an infant niece, I am paying attention… And congratulations on the new baby to come! How exciting:)

10 Jessica August 3, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hi Deborah,
I love your blog! I am doing a teacher training, and was wondering if I could use some of your lesson plans (with credit of course) as examples during our training on age-appropriate and engaging lessons/activities. Would you mind emailing to let me know if that’s alright? jhawley{at}ywcagreenville.org

Thank you!
Jessica

11 Deborah J. Stewart August 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I have sent you an email:)