Wax paper finger painting for all seasons!

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on February 12, 2010

in Creative Art, Sensory Play

This is a fun activity that can be adapted to any holiday or season or theme!  See the instructions below….

What you will need:

• Glue
  • Finger paint or tempera paint (choose colors based on what theme you are exploring)
  • Wax paper
  • Yarn
  • Scissors
  • Hole punch

Instructions:

Gather the supplies

Mix one part glue to two parts paint

Drop the paint/glue mixture onto a sheet of wax paper

Let child finger paint on the wax paper …..

or place another sheet of wax paper on top of the paint….

And rub until the paint is spread out and the two sheets of wax paper are flattened together.

Now let dry overnight

Once the painted wax paper is dry, it will be stiff and easy to cut out a shape!

This shape was cut into a heart and taped to a window!

This shape was cut into a pumpkin and a length of yarn was added to hang up.

Construction paper eyes and mouth were added before the painting dried as well!

Have fun mixing colors and singing this “Mixing Colors” song too!

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Teacher Tom February 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm

This looks fun, Deborah, and so simple! That’s my favorite kind of art project.

2 Teacher Tom February 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm

See? You’ve already handled some of my curriculum planning for me. If I just wait long enough you’ll probably do ALL my work for me. =)

3 Deborah J. Stewart February 13, 2010 at 12:00 am

Haha Tom – I am always here to serve.

4 Ayn Colsh February 13, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I must, must, must try this idea! What fun! I think I’ll try it during center time next week— I’m sure I’ll have lots of takers! :)

5 Laura Major February 13, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I have never done this kind of painting before! I love it too! “2″ of my favorite things…paint and glue …oops “3″ …can’t forget those fingers! I can’t wait to try it and pass on the adventure!

6 Tracey Phillips February 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Kudos to you! I absolutely love your blog. This is a great resource. As a children’s librarian, I love the article you wrote on “Books and Technology.” There is nothing like seeing the excitement on a child’s face when they are being read to. Keep up the good work!!!! If you ever get a chance visit littlestorybug’s channel on youtube to see my preschool videos.

7 Kim February 15, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I love this one! I am going to have to do this at home.

8 Adventure Mom Janna February 15, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Fun! This would be a fun simple sun catcher!

9 SkylarKD February 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Neat! I love that it hardens so you can cut out shapes.

10 vanessa @ silly eagle books February 16, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love this idea. So accessible to young kids! We’ll be trying it soon.

11 Michele @ Smart Money Mom February 16, 2010 at 8:36 pm

What a fun idea! I am adding this to my notebook to do with my girlie! She loves doing crafts and this one sounds like she’d enjoy it!

12 Iris Robin February 22, 2010 at 11:14 pm

This looks like a fun spring project we will be making these soon and hanging them up in the daycare room windows!

13 Ayn Colsh February 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Deborah,
I had to let you know—I did these shortly after you posted them. The kids loved them! Today, some of the friends started getting out supplies for painting and kept asking for the “special paper”. I showed them several types of paper before I realized they wanted the wax paper! You can always tell when something has become a favorite activity, when the kids select all the materials to do a project again independently! Thanks for making me smile today as I watched my little artists work!

14 Deborah J. Stewart February 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Ayn,
I love how you are taking so many ideas and putting them into action in your classroom. You are such a great teacher and your students are so blessed to have you.