During the preschool years, preschoolers are developing life-long attitudes about the reading experience.
A preschool teacher plays a major role in developing a joy for reading by creating the right reading experiences. For this reason, a preschool teacher should have a good grasp on how to best read-aloud to a group of preschool children.
When reading aloud to a group of preschoolers, keep the following points in mind…
Before Reading Aloud…
- Choose a book that is appropriate for the age of students you are reading to.
- Choose a book that has concepts your students can understand and relate to.
- Review the book several times so you will be familiar with the story.
- Consider follow-up activities that your students can do to reinforce concepts in the story.
While Reading Aloud…
- Hold the book up with the pictures and words facing the children while you read.
- Read aloud clearly and loud enough for every student to hear.
- Read with emotion and changes in voice to bring the story to life.
What else to keep in mind…
- Read the book as written. Most authors will have spent many hours writing a book that has the rhythm and rhyme exactly right.
- Another reason to read the book as written: Preschoolers are learning to read and as you read the words aloud, they will begin to relate the print on the page to the words you are saying aloud.
- Read the book often to the children and it will soon become one of their favorites.
Remember!!! You are an important influence in a preschooler’s love for reading so make reading a fun experience for everyone.This article is being shared with you by Deborah Stewart of Teach Preschool - Promoting excellence in early childhood education at home and in the preschool classroom!
Check out Deborah's new book and order your copy today!
-Teach Preschool on Pinterest
-Teach Preschool on Facebook
-Teach Preschool on Twitter
-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page or Teach Preschool G+ Group
Subscribe to receive the latest Teach Preschool blog posts by email...
Disclosure: Teach Preschool is a participating member in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program