It is a must that every early childhood educator spends time learning and memorizing a wide variety of fingerplays.
What is the purpose of a fingerplay?
Fingerplays serve a variety of purposes…
• They help capture a young child’s attention;
• They engage the child in the learning process;
• They promote the young child’s imagination and creativity;
• They increase a young child’s language, vocabulary, and listening skills;
• They involve and promote the development of fine motor skills;
• They help the teacher give directions and instruction.
• They provide entertainment for down time.
An example of a fingerplay
Links to Grow On
Little Fingers that Play by Deborah J. Stewart